Monday, November 15, 2010

A Genius in The Family

My 12 year old son Big J has never been into sports, or shown much interest in anything outside of video games.  The Stud Muffin and I had fears of him turning into a 40 year old basement dweller who still lived with us.

When Big J developed a passion for the guitar we were thrilled and impressed with how quickly he picked it up.  Big J is able to hear a song and figure out how to play it on the guitar.

Big J, Double D (my 20 year old) and I were sitting at the dinner table. Big J showed me how he figured out how to play "Hear comes the bride" on the guitar.  He had heard Double D play it on the piano.

Me: "That is awesome Big J!  Double D he is a musical genius!"


Double D: "How come you never told me that when I was younger?  I played the saxophone, piano, the flute and could also play by ear just like Big J is."


Me: "Double D I told you all the time what a musical genius you were."


Double D: "When I played you only ever told be to be quiet or play downstairs with my door closed!"

After reflecting on this I'm embarrassed to admit that Double D is right.

Me: "Well Double D you did EVERYTHING so well.  I took your genius for granted.  Your brother on the other hand was border line retarded, so his achievements stand out more."

In trying to dig myself out of one hole I realized I was quickly digging another, as I then had to explain to Big J how he wasn't really retarded, just a late bloomer.  For the record he recently scored quite a bit above average in reading, language and math.  This was after spending most of his early school years just below average.  He has found his stride and our fears of having him turn into a 40 year old basement dweller still living with us, have diminished greatly.

No comments: